Monday, June 10, 2013

How's the Weather?

Today the temperature hit 90 F for the first time this year (and summer is nearly two weeks away); I turned on the AC in my classroom today.

But I've been turning on the AC for two weeks or more, if the heat has made me uncomfortable. Furthermore, last weekend I went to TechnoMart and purchased a small, desktop fan to put in my office. It works really well, and cost 13,000 W, down from 15,000. That's not much of a discount, bargaining-skills-wise, until you consider that it's 13%.

I won't keep you long, but I just want to mention how different my experience of Korea is compared to some others; over on waygook.org, there are a couple of threads about how people are wilting in the heat, students are fainting, and the school won't allow them to turn on the AC until July 1, or July 14 or whatever.

No one has given me any such instructions, and my co-teachers have at most merely commented that it's nice and cool in the classroom (I'm keeping it at 23 C with low fan during class). In fact, last week, some maintenance guy came in to clean the filters and didn't say a word about it. Not to me, at least.

Anyway, it's now the time of loose knits, short sleeves, light chinos, and absorbent handkerchiefs at the ready. And will be until September.

No comments: