Thursday, May 5, 2011

Children's Day and Stuff

Photobucketsux

Today, I packed my bags, cleaned my officetel (who wants to come home from vacation to a dirty apartment?), and went off to the opening day of the six-day Spring Hi Seoul Festival, coincident with Children's Day, a national holiday where the banks close and everything.

I'm not sure who I took my photo above with, but I can't resist the outsize mascot photo op. I know the dude below, however: he is Mr. Baek Won (100 won piece), part of a drive to get Koreans to contribute to worldwide relief efforts.

Photobucketsux

This was all at Gwanghwamun Plaza and Cheonggyechun. I was hoping to see some live music acts, but I was rather early in the day, I suppose--loads of stages are set up, so I urge my fellow Seoulites to get out and enjoy some free concerts!

Photobucketsux
Photobucketsux
Photobucketsux
Photobucketsux

Alas (well, not really), I will miss the Hi Seoul Festival action since I'm off to the Gulf of Siam for a week's R & R.

5 comments:

Tanner Brown said...

Re: the first photo:

The one person I rely on to never give the East Asian teenage-girl photo peace sign has let me down.

The horror, the horror...

Tuttle said...

It's obvious you don't speak British. That means "Up ypurs, Mate!"

Tanner Brown said...

Update! Update! Update!

Tuttle said...

Spent three fun days in Bangkok, am now on my second peaceful, relaxing day at Kaibae beach, Koh Chang.

Wish you were here.

katz said...

Hi, sorry this comment isn't related to this post exactly, but--

I'm a 19 year old American filmmaker, currently living in South Korea. Currently I'm working with some Korean filmmakers to make the documentary-- we're planning to follow several 고3's throughout their last months of high school.

Anyway, I'd love to get your advice/opinion on the education system and things we should cover in our film. You can check out our project at:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1877491487/documentary-on-korean-education