Monday, September 28, 2009

Vacation Day 1

I went to the FC Seoul game on a whim yesterday. It had a five o'clock start, and I only decided the rain was going to hold off at four, so I barely got there in time for the first goal, about four minutes in. By Seoul--the opposition was Daejeon, which languishes in the bottom third of the pack and all but mathematically eliminated from the post-season.

FC Seoul remains in first with a 3 - 0 win, and a point lead in the standings over Chonbuk. Suwon Bluewings, last year's champions, are in 10th place, and need a miracle to make the playoffs. The system is kind of weird--#3 plays #6 while #5 plays #4. The winners of those two games play each other to determine who plays #2. Then the winner of that game plays #1 in a two-legged final for the league championship.

Since the game was over by about seven, I sat around outside at the GS 25 store to drink a few beers and watch the crowds. After a while, a pair of old Korean men sat at my table and we shared small talk. I don't mean we discussed the weather, I mean we could only talk a little. My Korean is practically nonexistant and their English was just as difficult to find.

They broke out a bottle of "Korean whiskey" which was actually pretty good, reminiscent of Seagram's 7, and we sang "Edelweiss" and a couple other popular favorites from the last century. Both were beaming--but I think that's the Asian alcohol blush more than anything else.

I woke up a little late today, but that was okay, since this is my first day of a two week vacation I'm taking. Between exams, Chuseok and class trips, we are in a two week stretch where I would have to spend the better part of an hour walking to and from work, in order to spend three hours sitting around--so I'm using seven vacation days to get two full weeks off.

1 comment:

The Daily Reviewer said...

Hi!

Congratulations! Your readers have submitted and voted for your blog at The Daily Reviewer. We compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 South Korea Blogs, and we are glad to let you know that your blog was included! You can see it at http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/south-korea

You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award here

P.S. This is a one-time notice to let you know your blog was included in one of our Top 100 Blog categories. You might get notices if you are listed in two or more categories.

P.P.S. If for some reason you want your blog removed from our list, just send an email to angelina@thedailyreviewer.com with the subject line "REMOVE" and the link to your blog in the body of the message.

Cheers!

Angelina Mizaki
Selection Committee President
The Daily Reviewer
http://thedailyreviewer.com