Thursday, June 18, 2009

And Now for Something Completely Different

Choi Jeong-hwa with HappyHappy, Photo Credit: Kirk McKoy: Los Angeles Times
... we go to LA and the Times thereof for this story about "HappyHappy", an installation being prepared for a major show at the LA County Museum of Art titled Your Bright Future: 12 Contemporary Artists from Korea, slated to open June 28. Hopefully, my friends in LA will find time to get over there and take some pics for me.

The artist is Choi Jeong-hwa, "an internationally recognized figure known as the father of South Korea's Pop art movement," who apparently scoured the local 99 Cent Only Store to find enough bowls, strainers, funnels and containers to create his colorful, plastic artwork. The article explains that a "champion of recycling and inexpensive, mass-produced goods, Choi draws much of his inspiration from the daily lives of ordinary folks in South Korea. But for commissions far from home, he likes to gather materials close to the installation sites."

I'll leave it at that.

Speaking of the 99 Cent Only Store, do go visit the 99 Cent Chef, one of my favorite blogs, about a dude who creates recipes using 99 Cent Only products. He's got some great videos, BTW.

3 comments:

Tanner Brown said...

I'll try to make it over there. I do live in Koreatown in LA, so there's a moral obligation; and the LACMA is only 5 miles from here, so there's the anti-lazy obligation too.

But the LA Film Festival is this week, and my birthday is Saturday, so I'm as busy as a whore in a...really busy whorehouse.

A kool Korean man fixed my side-view mirror today for free while I was there for a smog check. I'm thinking of taking a bottle of that nasty stuff Koreans drink, Seouljuice or Soju, whatever.

Tanner Brown said...

By the way, I love the idea of that guy's 99 Cent Chef, but every time I visit the page I'm grossed out by his finished products. He needs to take a page from Heidi whats-her-name's cookbook photos:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/

99 Cent Chef said...

Hi Tuttle, Thanks for the mention in your exotically fine blog. As for Tanner's food photography critique, I've had nothing but compliments - I guess taste is in the eye of the beholder.