Friday, April 17, 2009

Tuttle Update for April 17

Hola, amigos! I know it's been a while since last time I rapped at ya, but I've been busy tryin' to keep myself dry in the shitstorm. [/classic Jim Anchower opening]

So, I have been watching the progress on my classroom--while faster than paint drying, it's still been plenty slow. In fact, my room won't be ready on Monday! The guys who hook up the SmartBoard will be in "next week". Chrissakes!

Still, I went and dropped about 70 grand on a half-dozen plants in Deungchon market to really make it look nice. I'll post pictures once I actually teach in the new room. Though I can tell you now it will be a pain to keep tidy, since, instead of tables, I have individual student desks, arranged in tables of four. The kids will constantly displace them, meaning I will spend five minutes after every class straightening up.

In other news, it is my opinion that the studio version of "London Calling" by The Clash is the best tune ever for pounding out the clicks on the elliptical trainer. I am no longer adding time to my workout--25 min on the stationary bike, 15 on the treadmill, and 35 on the elliptical. Instead, I try to increase the distance or the setting. Three months ago I thought I'd never exceed 19 km/h on that elliptical, nowadays I try not to go under 24. Progress is slowest on the treadmill, where pain in my left calf is still really limiting. I dl'ed a free exercise tracker at the beginning of the month to keep track. I wish I had dl'ed more weight by now, though!

I am writing to you from the main room of my favorite chicken hof while eating some fried chicken mild-uh and consuming mass quantities. I like this place. The food is great, the service good (for Korea) and they don't seem to mind this strange waygookin taking up a whole table and typing on his laptop. I can't wait until they start setting up tables on the sidewalk again--should be any day now, but we had a little cold snap in the second half of the week.

This weekend, after two straight at the ballpark, I'll be staying home, or at least closer to home. I may venture out to the Yeouido Festival during daylight--stay tuned to this channel for more!

1 comment:

Tanner Brown said...

The real question is: Does or does not the guy in the Jim Anchower profile photo have down syndrome?

And "consuming mass quantities." Beer you mean, right?